Feds assist with flood preparation
The Canadian Press -.
Apr 19, 2019/ 8: 40 am|Story:.
Photo: The Canadian Press
A male places a sandbag next to the foundation of a home in the town of Hudson, Que. west of Montreal on Friday.
UPDATE: twelve noon
The federal government is observing Quebec’s ask for its help as lots of parts of province brace for heavy flooding.
Quebec Public Security Minister Genevieve Guilbault made the demand today, as authorities in some communities have warned the flooding might be even worse than the record flooding of two years back.
Federal Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale validated in a tweet that federal help will be provided.
Guilbault informed a press conference that the danger level hasn’t changed, but authorities now believe the brunt of flooding will begin on Sunday and last longer than anticipated.
She states the support will include the help of the Canadian Forces, which is now discussing with security officials where to release resources.
Water levels are currently quite high and are expected to increase dramatically with warm temperature levels, snowmelt overflow and the heavy rainfall anticipate this weekend.
Across Quebec, municipalities have been preparing sandbags and strengthening houses as the rain is anticipated to intensify in the coming hours.
ORIGINAL: 8: 40 a.m.
Environment Canada is maintaining its heavy rain cautions for numerous parts of Quebec today, keeping homeowner near lakes and rivers on high alert for flooding.
Water levels, already rather high, are expected to rise sharply with warm temperatures, snowmelt runoff and the heavy rains forecast through Saturday.
Public security officials say minor flooding has actually currently occurred in the Montreal location, along with the Outaouais, the Eastern Townships and central Quebec.
Earlier this week, the Chaudiere River rupture its banks, flooding a large part of Beauceville, south of Quebec City. Officials there called it the worst flooding considering that 1971.
Thomas Blanchet, a spokesperson for the province’s public safety department, says they want homeowners to be prepared for flooding that could come rapidly this weekend, and are urging them to follow the instructions of local authorities.
Blanchet says while there are no main evacuation orders currently in the province, some municipalities have actually issued preventative orders.